The missing piece in the treatment of TMD related issues, voice and swallow issues! We have to learn and know all the structures below the chin!
An estimated 17.9 million U.S. adults ages 18 or older, or 7.6%, report having had a problem with their voice in the past 12 months. Approximately 9.4 million (4.0%) adults report having a problem using their voice that lasted one week or longer during the last 12 months.
1.4 percent of U.S. children have a voice disorder that lasted for a week or longer during the past 12 months.1
Spasmodic dysphonia, a voice disorder caused by involuntary movements of one or more muscles of the larynx (voice box), can affect anyone. The first signs of this disorder are found most often in people ages 30-50. More women than men appear to be affected.
Successful completion of a swallow requires the precise coordination of more than 30 pairs of muscles of the head and neck, six pairs of cranial nerves, and complex circuitry in the brainstem and several brain areas. Any disruption in these pathways can result in severe swallowing disorders. More than 9 million adults and more than 500,000 children experience severe swallowing disorders each year in the U.S.
· Do you have patients who lose their voice, complain of throat pain, or have swallowing issues?
· Do you understand the relationship between the larynx, neck, and TMJ and how this can impact the voice and throat?
· Are any of your patient’s singers who are reporting vocal fatigue?
· Discover how Vocal Physical Therapy can assist you to assess and manage laryngeal dysfunction – the missing link.
Over four practical days, this course will cover the three primary modules to introduce you to Vocal Unloading®; manual therapy that unloads the musculoskeletal components of the larynx & voice, providing you with assessment and treatment skills that are immediately applicable in your daily clinical practice. These modules will help you understand the clinical rationale and clinical implications of voice and larynx dysfunction and importantly.
- The missing piece in the treatment of TMD related issues, voice and swallow issues! - June 2, 2023
- Art of Prevention: The importance of tackling the nail-biting habit! - March 5, 2023
- Airway is the stairway to health - September 22, 2022