TMJ CoursesFoundations in Manual Therapy: Voice and Swallowing Disorders
Foundations in Manual Therapy: Voice and Swallowing Disorders
Instructor: Walt Fritz, PT
The clinician learned to understand and apply manual therapy (MT) as a multifactorial method of impacting issues of voice and swallowing. Using a biopsychosocial approach to evaluation and intervention, the clinician utilized the evidence to support this MT model and, through hands-on experiences, learned immediately applicable clinical skills in the context of the diagnoses facing the SLP.
Learning Objectives for Pre-Seminar Online Module
After successful completion of this online module, the therapist will:
- Be able to compare and contrast the traditional “tissue-based” explanatory model of change with neurologically based models with respect to manual therapy.
- Be able to describe the strengths and limitations of a postural/biomechanical evaluation and treatment-based approach.
- Be able to describe the variations in explanations for manual therapy effects.
Learning Objectives for In-Person Workshop
After successful completion of this online module, the therapist will:
- Demonstrate the ability to apply an effective patient-directed method of manual therapy evaluation.
- Describe and demonstrate the various treatment options in a manual therapy session, including cross-handed, single-handed, compression, gathering/lifting, and traction.
- Describe options and apply effective treatment for the remediation of a variety of voice/swallowing and related disorders.
Successful completion of the course and associated award of ASHA CEUs are contingent upon:
- Completion of the 2.0 hour online pre-seminar module.
- A passing score on the written, multiple-choice examination given at the end of the online, pre-seminar, module as well as the live, in-person seminar. A grade of 80% or higher is required to pass.
- Accurate demonstration of the treatment techniques as observed by the course instructor during the hands-on portions of the live class.
- Completion and submission of all post-seminar required forms.
- As all aspects of the introductory material and hands-on components of this course form the foundations of the approach, no partial ASHA CEUs will be awarded. Full participation in the entire 14.5 contact hours will be required. If you need to leave the seminar early, fail to meet the 80% grade on either quiz, or fail to meet the expectations in the hands-on performance aspects, you agree to forfeit the ASHA CEUs and not receive a certificate of completion.
- There is an online module containing the background information to support this work that must be completed prior to the live seminar. The module will take approx. 2.0 hours to complete. Should the module not be completed, you will be not be permitted to participate in the live portion of the seminar. The necessary link to this online module will be emailed to you in advance of the live event. The purpose of this online module is to allow the hands-on training involved in the live event to begin as soon as possible.
- Three weeks prior to the class the link to the online course, syllabus download instructions, directions, and other details will be emailed to you. If you do not receive the email, please contact us.
About the Instructor
Walt Fritz, PT has been a physical therapist since 1985 and has been practicing myofascial release (MFR) since 1992. After training with and working for some of the pioneers of the MFR field, he began to move the traditional myofascial release narrative from its historical roots into more modern and accepted narratives of neurological explanation. He has taught MFR workshops to PTs, OTs, and MTs since 2006, with his work being taught in comprehensive Upper Body and Lower Body workshops. In 2013 introduced The Foundations in Myofascial Release Seminar for Neck, Voice, and Swallowing Disorders, directed toward the unique patient population of the speech-language pathologists and other voice professionals. He teaches across the United States, Canada, and abroad.
Walt’s calls his work myofascial release as that term best represents the style of engagement most frequently recognized as myofascial release but has moved beyond the belief that one is capable of singularly and selectively able to target one tissue, fascia or otherwise, for intervention to the exclusion of all else. Traditionally trained myofascial release therapists may at first take issue with Walt’s diminished emphasis on the belief that we are impacting fascia as a direct and primary result of treatment, but soon see the simplicity of an approach that acknowledges all possibilities, from skin to brain. Touch and manual therapy have universal qualities that can be explained in a wide variety of ways, including from a myofascial release perspective. He uses a strong base of neurologic-based effects and influences to explain how his work impacts the human condition. He also has developed a novel patient–centered approach to evaluation and treatment, one that put the patient in greater control of the intervention. Walt sees patients at his physical therapy practice in Rochester, NY.
Walt Fritz, PT
Foundations in Myofascial Release Seminars
980 Westfall Rd, Suite 115
Rochester, NY 14618
AMA and IMS.
TMJ Course Previews
Required, pre-seminar online module
1:00 hours: Introduction to the science and evidence to support this approach
1:00 hours: Interviewing, and evaluation methods/quiz
2.0 instructional hours
|9:00am||Introduction and review of online content|
|10:00am||Hands-on introduction: Lower chest and respiratory diaphragm region|
|11:30am||Upper chest/lower cervical region|
|3:30pm||Anterior cervical and retrolaryngeal region|
|11:00am||Facial, buccal, and lip region|
|1:30pm||Jaw and mouth region|
|2:45pm||Putting it all together/Q&A|
12.5 Instructional hours
Total 14.5 Instructional hours
This course is offered for 1.45 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate Level; Professional Area)
This course is also approved for 15.0 total CE Hours by NCBTMB/NYS Massage Therapists (2.0 CEUs for Online Module and 13.0 CEUs for live seminar) and is also approved for CEUs by many state PT and OT Boards. Please inquire.
Walt Fritz has the following relevant financial relationship to disclose: he receives royalties from similar course content delivered through Medbridge Massage. He has no relevant nonfinancial relationships to disclose. There are no content disclosures and financial/in-kind disclosures may exist and will be stated for each live seminar.
Please refer to the list linked here for complete disclosure information on Teaching Assistants who may be involved with individual seminars.
Registration Details and Cancellation Policy
Enrollment at all seminars is limited. The registration fee includes the mandatory 2-hour pre-seminar online module and in-person, live hands-on seminar, electronic course syllabus (distributed by email approximately 2-3 weeks prior to the class date) No meals, lodging, transportation, or parking are included in the registration fee. For syllabus usage at the live, in-person seminar, you have the option to download the syllabus to an electronic reader, laptop, iPad, etc., or print it out for use in the seminar. You will not be provided a hard copy at the time of the class unless you notify us in advance of the class.
Registration payment may be made using the PayPal link from this website, by using check or credit card payment from the registration form available here, or payment by phone using a credit card (585-244-6180). An email confirmation will be sent to you after payment is received to our office. The attached registration form must be completed in its entirety or you will forfeit your seat in the class.
You may cancel your registration up to 14 days before the seminar with a $50 processing fee. If you need to cancel less than 14 days prior to the seminar you may transfer your registration to another seminar of your choice, otherwise, you will forfeit the full registration fee. Refunds will be processed within 30 days of the refund request and will be made through the payment source from which your payment was originally made. All refunds, no matter the timing, for payments made through PayPal will also be reduced by the actual PayPal Merchant Fees charged to merchants. This fee is not refunded to the merchant by PayPal and is typically 3% of the purchase price. The actual PayPal transaction form, which shows your purchase and the fees paid by the merchant, will be sent to you prior to processing the refund to allow you to view the aforementioned fee.
We reserve the right to cancel any seminar based upon minimum class enrollment requirements or other emergency situation, in which case the tuition fee will be returned in full within 30 days of the cancelled event. Foundations in Manual Therapy Seminars is not responsible for any guaranteed/prepaid airline/hotel reservation. Prior to booking your travel you are advised to email or call to assure the class is confirmed.
Any grievances or concerns regarding Foundations in Manual Therapy Seminars should be made to:
Foundations in Manual Therapy Seminars
PO Box 548
Lima, NY 14485
- Intended for SLPs/Voice Professionals, SLPAs, Massage Therapists, Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, and other appropriately licensed health professionals.
- This course is offered for 1.45 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level; Professional area.)
- While some approvals are already in place, CEUs for PTs/OTs will be approved on an as-needed basis, please inquire early.
- Massage Therapy (NCBTMB and NYS MTs, 14.0 CE Hrs) are approved.